Powerpoint Presentation Available
Members of the CBAI staff participated in the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation’s Cybersecurity Awareness Presentation in Chicago on August 11. This informative two hour presentation is being conducted at various FDIC regional offices around the country to inform bankers about cybersecurity from the regulator’s perspective. See FDIC PowerPoint Presentation.
The presentation revealed that cyber threats climbed 48% in 2014 to 24.8 million incidents, a nefarious campaign of just 10 e-mails will yield a greater than 90% chance that at least one person will become prey to cyber criminals, and in 2014 there were 7,945 security vulnerabilities identified which is more than 22 per day – nearly one an hour!
The specific objectives of the presentation were to:
- discuss the evolution of data security,
- define cybersecurity,
- review the threat environment,
- discuss information security program enhancements for cyber risk,
- describe the (new) Cybersecurity Assessment Tool at the below links, and https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2015/fil15028.html
- provide threat intelligence resources, regulatory resources, a link to the Director’s Resource Center, and regional FDIC (cybersecurity) contacts.
CBAI thanks the FDIC for offering this outreach meeting which provided important information to Illinois community banks to assist them in protecting their institutions from cybersecurity threats and complying with regulatory requirements.